Saturday, June 21, 2008

I don't want to say SCARY...I want "SADS"


A mommy entry



My little one says a lot of stuff I can rarely understand. Words like "PATAKAPATAPATA" and some words I can't even spell are mostly what comprises her vocabulary nowadays.

I'm quite happy though that she can pick up and say most of the words we teach her:

1. WATER = "WATUY"
2. CHOCOLATE = "CHOK-LEYT"
3. ELMO = "E-MOW"
4. MOMMY = "MOMEEEEE"
5. DADDY = "DADEEE"
6. TITO = "TETO"
7. COW = "COW"
8. DOG = "DOG"
9. MORE = "MOW"
10. DORA = "DOYA"
11. YAYA = "YAYA"
12. SLEEP = "SEEP"
13. MILK = "MIWK"
14. AFRAID = "PEYD"
15. I LOVE YOU = "LABU"
16. MISS YOU = "MESU"
17. GOOD NIGHT = "GUYAYT"
18. TAXI = "TASI"
19. TAKE A BATH = "BABATH"
20. SCARY = nothing

I don't know why but every time I ask her if something is scary, she gets startled and hugs me tight. I tried teaching her the word, what it means and I tried to make her say it but the last time, she just didn't want to respond. Instead, she cried and looked around the room and went under the covers...which I did too because I thought she'd seen something and it kinda scared me too (hehe).

I'm just puzzled at her reaction every time we say the word scary. Maybe she thinks it's like a magic word to make something she's frightened about appear.

Each day, I try to teach my daughter some new word, phrase or thing. It's easy actually, at her age, she's like a sponge, so I'm quite careful with the words I say around her. But sometimes, I do forget that she's not just a child set to feel what you want her to feel or think. At an early age, I have to understand that she already has emotions and feelings just like any adult has. That she gets stressed, frightened, lonely, excited and even frustrated.

I was laughing so hard the other night, when I mentioned to my brother that my neck really hurt. To my surprise, she went to me and gave me a "massage" which she calls "sads" and I was so touched. Her yaya said she saw an English commercial on TV about a spa or massage. I was amazed on how she was able to relate that to what I told my brother "Ang sakit ng leeg ko...".

That same night, she went to me and said, "Mamee, sads?" and I said "You'll be massaging mommy?" and she said, "No, SADS!" placing her leg on my tummy and asking me to give her one. WOW! talk about a quick pick up from what she'd learned from watching a short 15 second commercial.

I have yet to uncover so many mysteries about my little one. But at this point, I'm quite worried and excited at the same time on as to what other stuff will happen as she grows older. I started applying make-up at the age of 18 and during those days, pressed powder and lip gloss was THE make-up for my age group. My little one knows how to put lipstick, powder and she knows where the eyeshadow and blusher goes. So imagine her 1 to 2 years from now. So many scary thoughts. She's only 1 1/2 years old.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com